Bloody Bed Head



OK, so most of my blog (to date) has catered to children's illustration and silly doodles. I am getting a bit squirrelly with the subject matter (cows, pigs, oh-my) and need to start sharing more variety so we all don't get bored.

I love faces, character, eyes, hair and expressions. If you are my friend and I happen to take a picture of you, it is very likely that I will use it for reference in some of my work (family is included in this assumption). My portraiture work ranges from traditional to, well, not-so-traditional.

The image with the blue background (at the top) is named Bloody Bed Head. Originally I intended to add tons of color and sass to the hair and have the face be a secondary feature. The orange version is the rough that pushed me toward making the colors bleed into each other and make the face and hair an equal statement. The orange rough was too warm so I switched the skin and background to cool it off. I made the t-shirt white to break it up a bit. I have tried a few backgrounds with this without success. Maybe something will come to me later.

Overall, this is my favorite piece from 2008. Note: I do not have a set medium for my portrait work and tend to choose the medium based on the image.
When I post more samples of portraiture work this will be more evident. Medium for Bloody Bed Head: Mixed media (color pencil, ink, gouache and a some digital work).

Labels: